Monday, February 27, 2006

Tittitus - ringing of the boobs (or 'reasons to buy a sports bra when doing energetic drumming')


Drumming is frustrating.
I spent a good few hours (on and off) banging away today but as I get tired I find it harder to get the parts of my body to do what I want them to.

My right hand has very quick movement - but then I knew that anyway *cough*
My left hand is good at keeping a rhythm up as long as it's not TOO stupidly fast.
It does need some work, I will confess.

My bass drum playing right foot DEFIES my every wish.
It will play along only if it's doing a 4 beat bar or playing on the one and three beats.
It will happily start a double beat but will soon just revert to a 4 beat bar when I'm not paying attention.
It need a bloody great slap, that's what it needs.

My left foot is no better.
It taps away on the high hat like it's playing another tune entirely and gets bored easily so does its own thing,

My fills are atrocious.
My cymbal hitting is worse than if I was having an epileptic fit amongst a room of cymbal stands.
And I'm very hesitant still, not really knowing what to hit in fills or when to hit cymbals - I pause before hitting cymbals and it annoys me.
My left hand is a bit more confident, thanks to smak smak smaking away to Elastica and Transvision Vamp (sweet Jesus, that was hard going! - I was playing to The Only One and it was very energetic).
Melissa Etheridge is my new friend as I can keep a simple groove up during some of her songs. Yay!
(Still can't improv the fills though).

Unfortunately, obviously my body is not designed for this amount of abuse though, because my right wrist aches today and I was getting some strange twitches in my left earlier.
My right foot (bottom of shin area) still kills.
And I discovered a bad side effect to plastic covers on your drum chair.
You SWEAT!
Playing drums (especially to the more energetic songs) is hard going and my socks are slick by the end of an hour.
Eww.
I know.
Sorry.
But that makes it difficult enough to stop my bass drum foot from sliding up and nesting in the drum itself (why does it keep doing that??)
And I'm 'glowing' afterwards (actually read 'sweating like a piggie')
Oh, and I'm having trouble staying balancing on the chair when using both right drum leg and high hat leg.
Is there a technique to that?
How do you stop yourself from toppling over?
(Or getting a sore bum)?
Seriously. How do you balance when both feet are in the air at the same time?
Is it all about the back?
I think I'm slumping occasionally. I do keep catching myself and correcting it.
But I can't imagine that helps.

Of course it's probably all good for me.
But my arms are still killing me today.
I'm going to have biceps like bricks in no time.
Of course that could have nothing to do with the drumming and everything to do with carrying home heavy shopping earlier today!
It's the inside of the elbows that hurt today.
Look at me - finding muscles where no woman needs to have any.
I know, it's only a matter of time before I'm wearing wifebeaters and looking like Pink or something.
Actually, that would be quite good.
*mmm, wanders off into a daydream about Pink in the Family Portrait video*

All this drumming does mean I do walk around tapping constantly now though.
At traffic lights and crossings I'm the worst. I think I scare little old ladies now.
Oh wait.
I did before...
Ok, but NOW I'm looking like a mental. Not just a big butch lezza.

Those odd bass drum beats were winding me up again today.
I tried it without the metronome, hoping that if I went slower I might be able to pick it up but no, my right leg refused to play along.
I tried clapping it - which I could do.
But then applying that to foot was another matter.
And once I HAD applied it to the foot, it all went pear shaped when I combined it with right hand and left hand tappings.

I'm going to end up breaking something into tiny pieces before I get it right. I just know it.
And the high hat totally wreaks your drumsticks.
Or maybe I'm just playing it wrong.

PS: *note to self - you bought earplugs USE them or you'll have ringing ears and end up deaf, stupid*

2 Comments:

Blogger MuppetLord said...

It took me a while to be able to get my feet working independently of my hands. Plenty of practice will sort that out.

Re: the chair...move it back a little...you might be too close in to the drums.

Incidentally, why are your feet off the pedals? You should only be moving them enough to move stuff. Personally I found that resting on the ball of my foot was easier for the bass drum. I never did get round to sorting my hi-hat foot out though.

Hmm..sounds like you've got the hi-hat a little high...your stick has to be not far off horizontal. Well that's how I played it anyhow.

Incidentally I never used earplugs...

12:46 pm  
Blogger 30-Something said...

I have a small question; once you're all trained up and have NVQ1 Drumming or whatever, what will you do? Is there a point to learning to play drums? Are you going to join a band and get loads of groupies clamouring after your body?

I'd put more effort into learning to play my guitar more if I had a goal. But strumming away for my own personal amusement doesn't motivate me.

I think I need to get the hang of hobbies a bit more maybe..

4:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home