Thursday, February 23, 2006

tish boom thwak ting

Today I had my first drum lesson.
Which was scary.

I wandered over to the 'studio' which was a tiny room inside a converted warehouse thing - I met the teacher by the door in the rain and was quite glad that he wasn't creepy, as I'd been busy worrying that he'd be a serial killer or con artist, since I'd found him on the good old internet.
Thankfully, he wasn't unsettling at all.
In fact I can already feel those 'I want to be good in front of him' feelings that I get around people I like and admire.

It went a lot faster than I imagined.
And I don't mean time-wise - I mean pace of the actual lesson.
I was playing along to a CD (very badly) by the end of the lesson and feeling a bit overwhelmed, although impressed that I'd managed to keep up for most of it until the last 10 minutes really.

I'd got myself to a certain level before going obviously, just through the practice pad and practising tapping my right foot etc. whilst listening to stuff on my iPod but it didn't prepare me for high-hat use, nor cymbals.

I wasn't doing too badly with timing, and I had the bass drum, snare and highhat tapping down OK for a first lesson and everything but then add in different bass drum beats, a cymbal - then ANOTHER cymbal alternating, differing fills, and then opening the high hat on an eighth note...
It's fair to say I fell to pieces and it became a bit of a mess.
My teacher did say that at least I was trying stuff out and experimenting - which I thought was a nice thing to say considering I'm not very outgoing and changey in life.

But yes, I completely sucked at the playing along.

I was enjoying it though.
A lot.
I need to work on the power though.
Unsurprisingly I have wussy wrists.
(He said he thought I was holding back - I pointed out that I was because I didn't have earplug yet. Unlike him.)
And I think my grip needs amending slightly because I was getting no rebound in my left hand.
I think I need to grip the drumstick less on the back 3 fingers and tighter between the thumb and forefinger.

When I first sat behind the drums though, GOD it felt good!
I just wanted to beam a stupid smile.
It just felt like fun just sitting there - without even touching anything.
But my right foot especially wanted to snuggle up to the bass drum a bit too much. I had to keep retrieving it from the top of the pedal.
Whereas I was having the opposite problem with the high-hat, it took me quite a while to find a position on the pedal where I remembered to hold it down and still be able to lift when I needed too.
I can see I'm going to have trouble learning on a set of drums set up for guys.
But I better get used to it because anywhere I go to practice is going to be set up for other people, who will all be taller, bigger and hitting harder than I, no doubt.
He did recommend a practice room/place which some of his students used which charged about £10 for two hours (seemingly), so I might look into that too.

As for my shopping list I now have to get earplugs, a drum stool, a high-hat, a cymbal and possibly another set of drumsticks.
(For now.)

Good job it's nearly payday.

He also asked me why I wanted to learn and said that he'd just had a sudden influx of women wanting to learn ever since Christmas and he wondered why.
Are we all being subconsciously effected by something??
I can't honestly tell you why I started thinking it would be a good idea/fun.
I've been trying to put my finger on it but I've had no luck.
Not for that first 'a-ha! THAT'S a BRILLIANT idea!' moment.
So maybe we have all been brainwashed unknowingly.
*must. resist. cravings*

But I'm pooped and need to kip now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home