Monday, February 27, 2006

Matchstick men and matchstick cats and dogs (by Michael Coleman and Brian Burke)


The top of my foot hurts.
I assume this is where I'm tapping it and it's building up muscle.
Well I hope it hurries up about it because a sore foot is no good to me.
Although it is encouraging me to try the heel up technique for the bass drum so I don't suppose it's all bad.

Can I just say I am LOVING having a little set up in my flat.
I just want to hit the splash cymbal every time I walk past (even though it's not very easy to do so). Still, having it in a prime location means I'm more likely to play it. Although I'm having to restrain myself at the moment because I'm wanting to sit down and bang away at all times of the day and night and we all know that's a one way trip to the environmental health complaints department.
*sigh*
You forget how easy learning is with guitars. You can make them quiet and use an electric and just plug in headphones.
And while I could re-mortgage my house and try and buy some electric drums I think that's taking it a bit too far at the moment.
And anyway, that would probably still make noise - just as the practice kit does.
Not that the neighbours can tell over their headboard banging, mind but something tells me that they'd have more of a case with me playing drums than I would with their 3 minute noisy sex, should any of us complain to the council.

I'm getting better at the high hat and cymbal usage. But the odd bass drum rhythms are throwing me.
You know, the hitting it on the 'one and' as a double and then also on the 'and' of the 3 and then on the four. I'm OK once I start off verbalising it - I can speak the rhythm but my foot acts independently to my mouth and head and goes off and does its own thing, the cheeky limb.
I was very proud as I tapped away to some Melissa Etheridge (I know, I'm such a stereotype) yesterday but obviously I'm still not using the ride cymbal so it will all go to pot in the next lesson, for sure.

And I should try and find a practice room this week really too.
Oh it's all go.
And my upper body, particularly my arms and shoulders feel huge and 'pumped' like they belong to a male body builder today, after carrying all the stuff home.

I am beginning to suspect that the reason drummers have buff upper-bodies actually has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual drumming side of their craft.
In fact, I'd wager it has more to do with having to lug all that heavy drum equipment everywhere every time they have a gig (presumably before they get big enough to have things like roadies to do all that for them).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home